Friday, January 13, 2006

Revenge of the Nerds


As I was stumbling and bumbling across the internet a few weeks ago, I came across this group that calls themselves “The Edge.” It’s basically like a really tough biker gang but the toughness, leather coats, and bikes are replaced with really nerdy people. They even went to the trouble of incorporating themselves for tax purposes. Fantastic. They describe their mission as follows: “to promote inquiry into and discussion of intellectual, philosophical, artistic, and literary issues, as well as to work for the intellectual and social achievement of society.” Wow.

I’ve just meandered through their site without any particular destination in mind. Pretty much everything I’ve clicked on has been fascinating and informative. I don’t have a particularly deep understanding of the hard sciences, so some of the material is lost on me, but I find a good deal of it to be penetrable. Truly, these folks are the brightest and most accomplished in their respective fields. It’s worth a look.


Every year, someone asks a question of the group to which each member responds. This year’s question is by psychologist Steve Pinker, who asks people to submit their most dangerous idea. (BTW, if you’re interested in evolutionary psychology at all, his book How the Mind Works is a good read.) Interestingly, more than anything else, people talk about God and religion.

Anyway, it’s a great site, from which I’ll be borrowing material, I’m sure. I’m presently working my way through an article by another psychologist about successful relationships. I’m sure I’ll have something to say about it tomorrow. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home