Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Safety First

I haven’t posted in awhile. I’ve been working on this really long post about destiny, but it’s looking like I’ll never finish it. It’s already at the length now that no one is going to read it. I just can’t seem to get to the end of the story. Maybe I’ll find some way to split it up. Maybe I’ll burn what I have and start over some other day.

I try not to talk about every day stuff that happens to me on this thing, but I’m making an exception because something exceptional happened the other day.

I drove a 2x4 through my windshield. I wasn’t sure how to write the story, so let’s try a couple of versions.

First, let’s try suspense. When you tell a story, I’m told that it’s best to build up to the climax. You give the audience an opportunity to fall in love with the hero. He can then either vindicate or disappoint them. The key is to only give them a little at a time. Build up. It’s all in the build up. If you give them too much, they’ll figure out where you’re going before you get there and then they will be bored. Keep them guessing.

Ok, here we go. It was a cold and dark winter evening. A crow cawed from the southwest. I drove a 2x4 through my windshield.

Much better.

Next, let’s try humor. The funniest thing happened to me the other day: I drove a 2x4 through my windshield. HA! The “Ha!” here functions like a laugh track and pressures the audience to laugh.

Now, let’s go with a moral story. People find pleasure in learning, so stories are good if they teach something. Yesterday, I drove a 2x4 through my windshield. You shouldn’t do that.

Or, we can give the narrator psychological transparency. I drove a 2x4 through my windshield. Boy, that was dumb of me. It will be easier for people to empathize with the narrator if they can listen to him think.

Mystery? A 2x4 was found driven through the windshield of a car. And I was the one that put it there. Muahahah!

In other news, I cut my head and dropped a window. I just hope that klutziness follows the rule of 3. I should take more safety precautions, like Darwin. Or this guy:

1 Comments:

Blogger Pave the Whales said...

I have an idea for how you can tell this story. You should try it with details. That's often a good way.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home