Thursday, September 13, 2007

Brett Dennen

Last night, I went to see a Brett Dennen concert at the Cat’s Cradle. Here’s all you need to know about how cool Brett Dennen is. Earlier that afternoon, he did a free show in support of the local independent music store, at which he relied almost exclusively on requests from the audience. That’s pretty neat in itself. But in addition to that, immediately preceding the late show, he set up on the sidewalk and played for people waiting in line. Few things in life beat good, free, spontaneous music.

When he was taking requests at the early show, I asked him to play the song “Someday,” an upbeat-toe-tapper off his latest album, which includes the lyrics, “I may be weary but I am not weak/I can sing a song of suffering/Baby, a song unsung is dancing on the tip of your tongue/My salvation's ahead of me/I can feel it calling me/I know that I/I know that I will be ready.” You can see why I would request such a song. It’s right up my alley! Well, he looks me right in the eye and says, “Aw man, are you sure you want to hear that one?” Assuming that he’s looking for a little encouragement, I give him an emphatic head nod, as if to say, “Heck yeah, man! I love that song! I love you! Heck, I love love, man!” I mean, it was just a head nod, but that’s what I was trying to communicate; and he’s a hippy: he’d understand my vibe.

Having received my vote of affirmation, he then turns to the audience and says, “Shoot! OK, here’s the deal.” At this point, I start mentally back-peddling. Oh no, I think, I laid it on too thick. I should have left out the part of the head nod that was about loving love. A simple, Heck-yeah-head-nod would have been plenty, considering the circumstances. I seemed way too eager. Poor form. And, really, do I even love love? I mean, I like love, I want to spend time with and get to know love, but was I being honest when I blurted out that I love it? I got a little caught up in the moment. I start doing my more understated “Heck yeah! I like love.” head nod, but it’s too late, for he’s already re-directed his attention to the audience. “Ok. Well, I recorded that song, but wanted to leave it off the album, because I didn’t really think it fit with the rest of the songs. But, the producers [read: “suits”] wanted it on there, so, well, that’s why it’s on.” At this point, if I were able to un-request it, and put in a new request for any other song on the album, or perhaps if I was able to simply pass my turn on to the girl next to me, I would have done so. However, that wasn’t an option. I didn’t know how to communicate any of those ideas via head nod, and I wasn’t about to try to talk over him, for I had ruined his show enough as it was. No, I was married to my choice, and so was he. As he tried to remember how the song began, he said, “I’m not sure I’ve ever played this live before.”

What this all amounts to is that my one speaking line in the TV show was immediately followed by the sound effect, “Wah! Wah!” after which the audience gasps in disbelief. Momentary embarrassment aside, I don’t regret having asked for the song. After all, it provided some timely comic relief, as a whole record store was given the opportunity to laugh... at me. But that seems a fair price to pay in exchange for the song you want to hear, I suppose. In the end, he played it really well and the audience cheered louder after that song than any of the others. Much appreciated. The late show, with the full band, and without requests, was even better. It was a great day for music.

However, I am left with the uneasy sense that in the eternal struggle between fledgling artist and suit-and-tie-corporate-record-label, I’m (apparently) siding with the man. Yikes.

Here's one of his songs from the Album "So Much More," which I highly recommend. The lyrics to this song in particular are phenomenal, but the CD is great from top to bottom. (I couldn't find an 'official video,' so this will have to do.)



Go check out Brett Dennen’s music and go see him when he comes to a town near you! Just remember what not to ask for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home