Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bible Belt

The Harris Poll recently conducted a survey on religious belief in America. The numbers suggest that faith in god is declining (although there is a caveat that the decline may be due to methodological reasons). A more reliable finding was that age, sex, race, level of education, and political affiliation all correlate to strength of religious beliefs. There also appears to be differences between relgiions, with Born Again Christians on one side of the spectrum for certainty in God's existence and Jews on the low end of said spectrum. You can look at the stats here.

Contrast those numbers for the nation as a whole (58% absolutely certain) with a similar study conducted by my local news organization in North Carolina.

Do you believe there is a God?
Choice Votes Percentage of 5550 Votes

Yes, I'm absolutely certain. 4070 73%
I think so, but I'm not absolutely certain. 450 8%
I am doubtful, but not certain there isn't. 448 8%
No, I don't believe there is a God. 582 10%

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home