Saturday, December 17, 2005

Innie or an Outtie?

Today’s reflection is on the relation of inner beauty to outer beauty. My initial instinct is to say that inner beauty grows in importance with age and in inverse proportion to outer beauty. When I was, say, 14, I think outer beauty was close to being my only concern. I’m not even sure if one knows what inner beauty is at that point in life. However, as one gets older, it grows in importance. I wonder if matters will come full circle so that inner beauty will grow to be ‘close to my only concern.’ Maybe when I’m really old, and everything about me, including my wife, resembles an old grape, it would only humane for nature to strip me of my aesthetic sense, for that, too, to grow dull like taste buds.

The other matter is definition.
I don’t have a physical type, per se. I’m having a hard time identifying characteristics key to inner beauty, as well. I wonder if these two are related. That is to say, for people that have well-defined notions of physical beauty, I wonder if they have equally bounded senses of inner beauty.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pave the Whales said...

B - when you are old, and your wife looks like a grape, you will be running around chasing after 16 year olds. Take it down.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Donkey Boy said...

i'm saying, by that age, i hope that i'm not able to chase anything, let alone 16 year olds. i wish only to be at peace, if smelling like ben gay, lost in the eyes of my grape of a woman, enjoying my oatmeal.

10:46 PM  
Blogger O said...

do they have to be mutually exclusive? can't a taste for inner beauty be cultivated at a time when outer beauty (ostensibly) still reigns? you mentioned inverse proportionality... do you think that we necessarily need to have outer beauty "stripped away" in order to understand inner beauty for all its worth?

11:55 PM  
Blogger Donkey Boy said...

i wasnt so much speaking to the possibility that inner and outer beauty may exist in the same person at the same time. this is certainly possible. i was speaking more to the process of valuation. at any given point in time, one will be more important to the viewer than the other. i have found in my own life that inner beauty has grown in importance relative to the importance i give outer beauty. woo suggests that my concern for outer beauty will always exist. i'm not sure. actually, i hope it goes away, because otherwise it would cause problems; namely, 80 year old men cant catch 19 year old women and really, even if they could, what good would it do them?

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home